Provide your feedback on proposed Nevada bill to outlaw brothels

Started by Adventure Guy, Mar 28, 2019, 01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adventure Guy

For those who may not be aware there is a draft bill (SB413) in the Nevada legislature to outlaw brothels sponsored by Senator Pat Spearman and Senator Joe Hardy. Here's the links to more info about it:

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/80th2019/Bill/6753/Overview
https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/2019-legislature/legislature-will-consider-banning-prostitution-in-nevada-1623482/

Anyone who would like to send an opinion to the Nevada legislature can use this link: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/AppCF/Opinion/80th2019/vwComments.cfm

You can also read the other opinions submitted.

I sure hope this draft bill doesn't make it into law.

johann

Before leaving feedback, can anyone there give a view on how well opinions from out-of-state residents are likely to be taken

Ironman

Quote from: johann on Mar 28, 2019, 08:04 AM
Before leaving feedback, can anyone there give a view on how well opinions from out-of-state residents are likely to be taken

Yeah since a good number of us that would care don't live in Nevada. I would be skeptical that the powers that be would Pay much attention to feedback from a non Nevada resident

Unless there is some hard data to support that outlaw the brothels would seriously hurt the states tourist dollars.

Speaking for myself only I would find Nevada less appealing but I am one person and don't have enough money that they would care about me visiting their state or not.

Worry2much

If they ever succeed in eliminating the brothels, I will just do it illegally or maybe go overseas. 'Nuff said.

Michael j.

I think the State and the Counties will have too much to lose.  When Joe Conforte was busted for tax evasion in 1990, almost from the get go, the Co. complained loud and long about the revenue loss.  The WFMR was allowed to re-open on an interim basis-  after all, Uncle Sam didn't like the image them running a legal brothel.  Later they sold to a group known as Mustang Holdings.  That turned out to be a sham, that Joe was still running things from behind the scenes.  So the ranch was padlocked once and for all and....well, you know the rest.
Michael J.

Serena

It's ridiculous. They need to butt out of our lives. They have no idea about us and it's none of their business anyway. To each their own. As long as we're not harming anyone. I don't think this will ever go away, but we can't let them ever win. 
>:(

clevelandbrowns01

Serena,

We can fight this. I remember 20 years ago when Sen. John McCain was trying to ban betting on college sports in Nevada. The whole world seemed to be on McCain's side. I was very upset about this and wrote letters to my Congress people etc. Now, we were very lucky that Sen. Harry Reid from Nevada was in a power position and worked to preserve betting on college sports in Nevada. Who'd have thought 20 years later - not only would all sports betting still be legal in Nevada. It is now legal in more states like New Jersey, Mississippi, Delaware etc. We've also seen marijuana legalization and proponents of gay marriage fight seemingly impossible odds.

I'm going to post something else that I hope will help on a new thread.

Victoria

ALL of us in the brothel industry need to stand TOGETHER. We cannot fight this alone. But we can fight this if we stand TOGETHER as one.

They need to see that the real problem is not the legal sex industry of the brothels. It is not the gentlemen coming to the establishments seeking company. It is certainly not the courtesans, who go through a rigorous background and testing process.

It's the people who are BLIND TO THE TRUTH. To those who want to actually learn why we NEED the brothels, and we NEED  to keep them SAFE and LEGAL establishments; come take a tour, get to know these ladies, and SEE THE TRUTH.

clevelandbrowns01

Victoria,

Nice pep talk!   We all can use those every once in a while!     The tour is a great idea too.  I remember with the sports betting thing - they gave a tour of the behind the scenes of the Stardust sports book (I believe)  to Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters (both ladies are still in Congress).  It got them on board that it wasn't some evil thing and that it was well regulated entertainment. 

Serena

Thanks for your reply Clevlandbrowns01,
Hopefully this will have the same effect as the sports betting. Rather than make it illegal, it becomes legal in more states. I think every state should have legal brothels. Just like the legalization of marijuana is spreading, I hope the same will be the outcome for legal brothels/prostitution.
Serena

johann

If that tour ever does get set up, take a look at the public comments on the bill first.  On a positive note the vast majority of them are against the bill, and the one "For" that I looked at clearly had no idea what they were talking about, it was more of a rant than anything else.

If you know what the"For" comments are claiming, you are in a good position to show how wrong they are.

Victoria

Johann, that's exactly why I said what I said. They don't know the truth. They need to come out here and see for themselves.

Victoria

clevelandbrowns01

Very good news indeed!   I'm happy for all of us.   Good to see Hardy's bill didn't really get any support.  Regarding that other bill -   I do think a few of the rules could use a refresh.  Why can strip clubs advertise relentlessly but brothels can't?  The whole taxi club split thing seems ridiculous too. However, it's not worth the risk of reopening the entire issue.