News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Cash vs. Card

Started by Navyguy, Jul 08, 2016, 06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navyguy

Hey all, quick question...

I am trying to find a "safe" way to go about paying for the fun.  I know credit card is the safest, the only problem is I dont really want to have to pay the fee for using a credit card.  I also dont feel safe carrying so much cash around in my pocket.

Is there another option to pay for a party?  Traveler checks, checks, etc, to where an exorbiant fee isnt charged?

I know military people get a discount, however, I am in a break between active and reserve duty so I wont have my ID card for another couple of months.

shooter

I always use cash. No paper trail.
The family jewels should be handled by professionals not drunken amateurs.

Goldie

I thought the credit card fee was waived for forum posters???? It used to be

Just Tom

the fee was waived the last time i used a card there, a little over a month ago... you just have to ask at the window
if you can't laugh at yourself, you don't deserve to laugh at anyone else

Silverado

As long as I have visited, as long as you are a board member, they will waive the fee. Make sure you let them know and they may ask for your board handle. Some of the newer girls may not be aware of this, but the cashier should.

Ayana

Quote from: Silverado on Jul 09, 2016, 05:15 AM
As long as I have visited, as long as you are a board member, they will waive the fee. Make sure you let them know and they may ask for your board handle. Some of the newer girls may not be aware of this, but the cashier should.

Absolutely! just inform the lady your spending time with so that she can speak with management to waive the fee. Your right some newer ladies don't know about that policy.
Sweet Texas Tea-Everything is Sweeter in Texas!

Wildfire

Navyguy 

No need to worry about using a card at the Mustang . I do all the time and never a problem !   8)

SeattleSun

I am a cash and carry kind of guy but I did use my Visa card once and about a month later it was cancelled.

The story they told me was, ".... a vendor I had used was hacked and just to be safe they cancelled my card."

Then they refused to send me a new one at a temporary address is was using in Vegas, leaving me with no card for 2 months.  So I cancelled them.

They would not tell me the name of the "vendor that was compromised" but I did hear a similar story from a MR lady I told this story to.

So the moral of the story is to have more than one credit card in case you get the dreaded cancelled notice.

Wildfire

Quote from: SeattleSun on Jul 09, 2016, 11:27 PM
I am a cash and carry kind of guy but I did use my Visa card once and about a month later it was cancelled.

The story they told me was, ".... a vendor I had used was hacked and just to be safe they cancelled my card."

Then they refused to send me a new one at a temporary address is was using in Vegas, leaving me with no card for 2 months.  So I cancelled them.

They would not tell me the name of the "vendor that was compromised" but I did hear a similar story from a MR lady I told this story to.

So the moral of the story is to have more than one credit card in case you get the dreaded cancelled notice.

That is a good point that could happen wherever you use a card .  I always have a couple of backups if needed.

But still I would not be afraid to use a card at the Mustang .  :) 8)

Ironman

Back when I still had credit cards they are gone now due to poor life choices.  I did use one once at Mustang the one thing i did not like was you had to leave your thumb print, but I did it because that was just the policy.

What I don't understand is why when I went back a year later and the only plastic I had on me was a prepay visa card my name was not even on it they still wanted my thumb print? 

I guess it makes since with an actual credit card if you can't hang with that policy don't use a credit card simple.  But a prepaid card that does not even have your name on it makes no since to me.

The other issue I had with the prepaid card was it was not taking the full value of the card.

Granted it was back in 2012, but it kinda ticked me off because I was using it to finance my party with Kassie so she wound up with about 80 dollars less before the split. :(  That was not fair to her.

Too her credit though she did not let it effect our interactions on that night.

I would hope though if they are still taking prepaid cards though they are now at least taking the full value of the card.  The price we agreed to was based on what was on that card.  I did not have any cash on me at that point. Guess I am lucky Kassie was not tripping over 75 or 80 bucks.  I forget exactly how much it was.  Like I said it was back in 2012.  a long time ago.  I just remember that for whatever reason it was not taking the full value of the card.

Now 4 plus years later I guess its all a moot point the plastic is all gone, and I never seem to have enough disposable cash to finance my Rodeo's any more. 

As for the original question you should see if they still accept those prepaid cards.  If you don't like using the on site ATM or carrying a bunch of cash around. Just be aware that when I used the prepaid cards they seemed to have a problem pulling the full value of the card.  Maybe now years later if they still accept them it is no longer an issue.

Wildfire

Quote from: Ironman on Jul 10, 2016, 10:42 AM
Back when I still had credit cards they are gone now due to poor life choices.  I did use one once at Mustang the one thing i did not like was you had to leave your thumb print, but I did it because that was just the policy.

What I don't understand is why when I went back a year later and the only plastic I had on me was a prepay visa card my name was not even on it they still wanted my thumb print? 

I guess it makes since with an actual credit card if you can't hang with that policy don't use a credit card simple.  But a prepaid card that does not even have your name on it makes no since to me.

The other issue I had with the prepaid card was it was not taking the full value of the card.

Granted it was back in 2012, but it kinda ticked me off because I was using it to finance my party with Kassie so she wound up with about 80 dollars less before the split. :(  That was not fair to her.

I would hope though if they are still taking prepaid cards though they are now at least taking the full value of the card.  The price we agreed to was based on what was on that card.  I did not have any cash on me at that point. Guess I am lucky Kassie was not tripping over 75 or 80 bucks.  I forget exactly how much it was.  Like I said it was back in 2012.  a long time ago.  I just remember that for whatever reason it was not taking the full value of the card.

Now 4 plus years later I guess its all a moot point the plastic is all gone, and I never seem to have enough disposable cash to finance my Rodeo's any more. 

As for the original question you should see if they still accept those prepaid cards.  If you don't like using the on site ATM or carrying a bunch of cash around. Just be aware that when I used the prepaid cards they seemed to have a problem pulling the full value of the card.  Maybe now years later if they still accept them it is no longer an issue.

Ironman
Never been a fan of the prepaid cards the problem you had can happen at any merchant you try to use prepaid. As far as the finger print, I like that,an added layer of security . You have your ID and finger print that would make it easy to prove if you did not make the charges on you card.
Plus I use all my point on Southwest to get to Reno so a very nice bonus.
No matter what you use you should have no problems at the Mustang.  :)

Ironman

Quote from: Wildfire on Jul 10, 2016, 12:36 PM

Ironman
Never been a fan of the prepaid cards the problem you had can happen at any merchant you try to use prepaid. As far as the finger print, I like that,an added layer of security . You have your ID and finger print that would make it easy to prove if you did not make the charges on you card.

I get the reason behind the use of the ID and finger print on a real credit card.  I just don't see the need for it on those prepaid cards you buy at Safeway. If it was a secured credit card it would still  make since. But the one I am talking about are not even reload able. Rather its worth 25 or 500 once its used up its dead.  So not much chance of you protesting anything.  They are essentially almost the same as cash.  Yes you are correct there are problems with them at various different merchants.

But none of the other businesses that accept them ask for a finger print to use it, and I have yet to run into another business where they could not deduct the full value of the cards through their credit card sliders.

Anyway even though I did not like it I understand the reasons behind the finger print with a regular credit card rather it be unsecured or secured.

But a thumb print really is not needed with those prepaid cards that are only good till all the value of them is spent.  Its not like the money can be put back on them at least to my knowledge unless its the reload able kind.

Wildfire

Quote from: Ironman on Jul 10, 2016, 12:57 PM

Ironman

I get the reason behind the use of the ID and finger print on a real credit card.  I just don't see the need for it on those prepaid cards you buy at Safeway. If it was a secured credit card it would still  make since. But the one I am talking about are not even reload able. Rather its worth 25 or 500 once its used up its dead.  So not much chance of you protesting anything.  They are essentially almost the same as cash.  Yes you are correct there are problems with them at various different merchants.

But none of the other businesses that accept them ask for a finger print to use it, and I have yet to run into another business where they could not deduct the full value of the cards through their credit card sliders.

Anyway even though I did not like it I understand the reasons behind the finger print with a regular credit card rather it be unsecured or secured.

But a thumb print really is not needed with those prepaid cards that are only good till all the value of them is spent.  Its not like the money can be put back on them at least to my knowledge unless its the reload able kind.

That is simple the cashiers are told to get a finger print on any card .  They do not need to know what type of card. Just makes it simpler for the cashiers.  And it helps if someone is trying to say his prepaid card was stolen  and used at the Mustang.  Sorry you don't like the finger print . It is really no big deal.
Now if the US would go to chip and pin credit cards it would not be need because of the pin is use to make the card charges.  But US card companies are to cheep to use a pin on the new chip cards.

Cobia

I have never been fingerprinted for using a credit card anywhere.

Only once in my life at a different bank while cashing a check where I was not a member.
I ain't askin no body for nothing if I can't get it on my own
So if you don't like the way I am livin then leave this long haired country boy alone !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chewed your ass out all day long.

Ironman

Quote from: Wildfire on Jul 10, 2016, 01:16 PM
Quote from: Ironman on Jul 10, 2016, 12:57 PM

Ironman

That is simple the cashiers are told to get a finger print on any card .  They do not need to know what type of card. Just makes it simpler for the cashiers.  And it helps if someone is trying to say his prepaid card was stolen  and used at the Mustang.  Sorry you don't like the finger print . It is really no big deal.
Now if the US would go to chip and pin credit cards it would not be need because of the pin to use the card.  But US card companies are to cheep to use a pin on the new chip cards.

Actually chip cards are being used now by a lot of banks and credit cards in this country now.  Businesses like the one I work for have so many months too install new readers that can read those cards or be fined.  We are supposedly getting ours soon.  For now the cards still come with the magnetic  strip also for the old reader, but once all the merchants have there new readers in place I would say with in the next couple of years those magnetic strips will become a thing of  the past.

As for the thumb print at Mustang at this point I really don't give a flying poop I no longer have any credit cards.  The only reason I even had that prepaid card in 2012 was because it was shortly before I had to get rid of all my cards.  I Knew what was left of my credit at the time would not clear.

I don't know about now, but back in 2012 all credit cards used at the brothels would be run as a cash advance, and i had no cash advance line left,

In 2013 the severe monthly income reduction I knew was coming finally hit so good bye credit card nice knowing you! :( Now four years since that 2012 trip huge debit is gone, but so is the credit, and my monthly take home income is about half what it was up through 2012.

Which makes it very difficult to finance trips to a brothel. :(

Its too bad as you know wildfire my ATF retired 3 years in September or October. :'( Which in a weird way makes it a little easier to not try too spend money I can no longer come up with.

But it is still a bit of a pisser because the girl next in line behind my retired ATF.

Kassie is still active, and it bites not having enough $$$$$$ to finance time with her.  She is one of the few ladies still working in the LPIN system that knows how to at least for an hour at a time give or take deal with the departure of my ATF! :'(  So yeah its a pisser because Kassie is a sweet heart with a wild side and its a real bitch not having the disposable income anymore to drop on her ass which is still in my opinon one of the top rear views in Nevada.

My time with Kassie may or may not  have come to a permanent end, but I will remember that girl fondly never the less.  She was always a lot of fun probably still is, and had a connection to some of my funnier lpin adventures.

To add insult to injury Rachel is now at Mustang although I know she could never help me forget my retired ATF  NO offense Rachel, but if the best Kassie could do is make me focus on her for an hour or so at a time.  That is the best any of you others could hope to accomplish, but if i had the funds to finance it.  My gut tells me it be fun to let you give it your best shot. ;)

Anyway enough about that stuff.  The Chip credit cards are already slowly being rolled out.  But it has only been I think about 6 months at this point.

Soon credit cards and debit cards with the magnetic strip on the back will be a thing of the past.

All merchants will need to upgrade their credit card sliders or be fined.

My company will be installing them soon or so I was told.  I think all merchants have till sometime next year to be up to code.  Or maybe it was 2018 I forget. :-\