Flying...Fun, Boring, Bothersome, or an Adventure?

Started by Luna, Aug 22, 2019, 11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luna

I'm flying today. It's a lot of fun but also a bit boring. I guess having to stop to switch planes and waiting for the next one is the more boring part... what do you think?

Cobia

Flying is another reason I don't go to Reno so much.  I hate flying.  I was on a flight that got hit and was on fire once and I will never forget it.   Everything turned out ok  but it was damn scary.
I ain't askin no body for nothing if I can't get it on my own
So if you don't like the way I am livin then leave this long haired country boy alone !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chewed your ass out all day long.

Michael j.

Quote from: Cobia on Aug 23, 2019, 12:20 AM

Flying is another reason I don't go to Reno so much.  I hate flying.  I was on a flight that got hit and was on fire once and I will never forget it.   Everything turned out ok  but it was damn scary.
Damn, that must have been hairy!  What airline, what kind of plane?  Were you hit by lightning?
Michael J.

MrTShirt

Quote from: Luna on Aug 22, 2019, 11:50 PM
I'm flying today. It's a lot of fun but also a bit boring. I guess having to stop to switch planes and waiting for the next one is the more boring part... what do you think?

Now if Luna was my pilot, I would always have a happy ending (oops, I mean landing).

SixT9er

I fly as little as possible. Good thing I can drive across Nev and get a nights rest in Reno when I do!😜
Brothellife.com an independent message board dedicated to LPIN where clients and Courtesans can interact

1Bytetoomany

I love to fly. Always have. My adventures start at the Airport and then hit high gear when I arrive at The Mustang. I love the acceleration of take-off. Never seem to get used to that. Feel the power of the engines! Let me sit next to the window on a clear day and will end up with a sore neck from watching everything go by.
Beautiful!
My flights are usually not too long and the layovers aren't too long either.
I've never gotten tired of flying or driving. I have wanderlust along with my woman lust!

Cobia

Quote from: Michael j. on Aug 23, 2019, 05:10 AM

Damn, that must have been hairy!  What airline, what kind of plane?  Were you hit by lightning?

It was in Saigon as we were landing.  It was a C-130 in 1968.  The VC hit it with something.... not real sure but probably a RPG.  The right wing was on fire.... big time.

2 yrs. ago on American Airlines as we were about to hit the ground our plane was struck by lightning coming into Reno.  It was like a huge flash bulb went off inside and people screaming.
I ain't askin no body for nothing if I can't get it on my own
So if you don't like the way I am livin then leave this long haired country boy alone !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chewed your ass out all day long.

clevelandbrowns01

can be all or none of them.

fun / adventure - you are going on vacation with anticipation.
boring - you are coming home after tiring trip.  Too tired to read or watch anything
bothersome - surrounded by annoying people on the flight

59Fendersuper

I was a private pilot for 20 years (3500 hours in the air) and I hate flying unless I'm in the left seat. It's sad but I had to quit flying 16 years ago (health-related) but on the rare occasion I can afford to fly commercial, I grade the pilots on their landings, which usually suck. I've felt one "greaser" landing in my life that wasn't one of mine. The flying buses hold no interest for me. If it's low and slow you want, I'm your huckleberry. :D

Luna

Quote from: 59Fendersuper on Sep 18, 2019, 11:27 PM
I was a private pilot for 20 years (3500 hours in the air) and I hate flying unless I'm in the left seat. It's sad but I had to quit flying 16 years ago (health-related) but on the rare occasion I can afford to fly commercial, I grade the pilots on their landings, whack usual;ly suck. I've felt one "greaser" landing in my life that wasn't one of mine. The flying buses hold no interest for me. If it's low and slow you want, I'm your huckleberry. :D

For short trips, that's a ton faster than driving... how did the maintenance work? Did you do your own, or?

Luna

Quote from: Cobia on Aug 23, 2019, 08:26 AM
Quote from: Michael j. on Aug 23, 2019, 05:10 AM

It was in Saigon as we were landing.  It was a C-130 in 1968.  The VC hit it with something.... not real sure but probably a RPG.  The right wing was on fire.... big time.

2 yrs. ago on American Airlines as we were about to hit the ground our plane was struck by lightning coming into Reno.  It was like a huge flash bulb went off inside and people screaming.

Good thing those C-130's can take some hits. I guess that's one benefit of having 4 engines...

MrTShirt

Quote from: Luna on Sep 21, 2019, 10:17 PM

...For short trips, that's a ton faster than driving... how did the maintenance work? Did you do your own, or?

Do I detect an interest in flying?

Luna

Quote from: MrTShirt on Sep 21, 2019, 10:37 PM

...For short trips, that's a ton faster than driving... how did the maintenance work? Did you do your own, or?

Do I detect an interest in flying?

As a pilot? I probably couldn't do it. Though it would be interesting and fun!

59Fendersuper

For short trips, that's a ton faster than driving... how did the maintenance work? Did you do your own, or?
I mostly did my own but any work, outside of a few simple things, must be inspected and signed off in the log book, be it airframe our powerplant. Yes, separate logs for airframe and power plant. I saved myself a lot of money but whenever I balked at spending a sizable chunk of change for parts, My IA always asked me, "What the fuck is your life worth?" I spent the money. It's not for the faint of heart. Parts costs can be breathtaking.

59Fendersuper

Quote from: Luna on Sep 22, 2019, 12:58 AM
As a pilot? I probably couldn't do it. Though it would be interesting and fun!
Actually, the physical part of flying is pretty easy once you get some reps with an instructor. Judgment is the hardest to teach and if you don't have it, stay on the ground.

Long ago, I used to fly to Montana and Idaho (back-country) and I have one story of good judgment (mine, of course :D) and one of bad judgment, leaving the pilot dead and worse than that, he destroyed a VERY nice Cessna 185.

Before one of my annual month-long trips to the serious backcountry, I was doing my pre-trip inspection. Timed the mags, changed the oil and filter, lubricated every control-surface hinge and attach point, checked the panel electronics for proper operation. The last item I checked grounded us. On older Cessnas, they use part of a Chevy leaf spring as a support for the main gear springs. Supporting the gear is a VERY large u-bolt. One of them was broken and the other was just was old, though not broken. Because the other side was just as old, and corroded at one of the bends, I replaced them both. Ever seen a $75 bolt? I bought two. They are easily replaced and once the nuts were torqued (nyloc nuts so no backing out) it was bridled, saddled and ready to go.

The bad judgment I saw was a precursor to the wreck I mentioned. At the annual Montana Pilots Association fly-in to Schafer Meadows (8U2) I saw a guy drink two beers and go fly. The rule at the FAA is eight hours between bottle and throttle and a .04 blood-alcohol level.

I mentioned to a friend that the drunk in question would eventually kill himself with his bad judgment. Less than a year later, Bill called me and said I was right about ol' Norm. He was trying to get to Schafer and was scud-running (trying to stay below cloud cover) and one of the clouds was made of granite. Norm was dead (still is) and his beautiful 185 was just another wreck people would see when flying near (but safely) the crash site.

Flying with your known limitations (I was VFR only, never got an instrument rating) will keep you alive. I was a weekend warrior and if I didn't like weather or other conditions, I made the no-go decision.

As you can see, you need to know a lot the average groundling never has to learn. If you think you're up to the challenge, and have the money to pay for your training and aircraft rental, you could probably learn but aptitude in aviation, and the many, many things you must learn (and the willingness to learn). If you can do that, you can learn to fly. But I tell you as an aviation advocate, you'll really have to apply yourself, and take it VERY seriously. Because flying, even recreational flying like I did, requires all this knowledge (I didn't even get into airspace rules) and you need to retain it. Learning up at Stead field will prepare you for high-elevation flying (mountain flying) more than training at a flatland airport.

Up to the challenge? You can call me if you want a spoken consult, I can do that. If you encounter problems in studying for your FAA written, I will consult and if I don't know the answer, I'll refer you to your instructor (get a drill Sgt for an instructor), you'll thank me later. Let me know if you want to talk about it and I'll send you a phone number. No obligation or bullshit. Let me know...

BTW, if you're renting and not owning, you needn't learn that much about many maintenance issues but you need to be able to identify the squawk (maintenance issue possibly affecting the airworthiness of the aircraft) so if it IS major (like a bad magneto), you can just taxi back to wherever the plan is parked and put in a squawk at the rental counter and make sure they don't charge you for the .2-.3 hours on the Hobbs meter (measures all time the engine is running). Just tell 'em, "you sent me out in this dog with a bad XXXXXXX," I am NOT paying for the hobbs time. Defective aircraft.