What would happen to the brothels if independent prostitution was decriminalized

Started by ColleenRose, Jan 29, 2019, 04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColleenRose

Personally i think it would be the end of the brothels, any other theories?

SixT9er

Brothellife.com an independent message board dedicated to LPIN where clients and Courtesans can interact

Cobia

I ain't askin no body for nothing if I can't get it on my own
So if you don't like the way I am livin then leave this long haired country boy alone !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chewed your ass out all day long.

johnapostolatos

I believe the laws of economics would prevail: the increased supply of courtesans will reduce the price for their services. As such some brothels will not be able to charge outrageous prices, and only the establishments and ladies that can offer something unique (beyond sex) will be able to entice customers to go through all the trouble of travelling to see them.

As such I don't think they will be history. Speaking for myself, I would still travel to Nevada since I would want to be in a safe location where the ladies are tested, whereas with an independent I would not feel as safe unless they were referred by someone I trust.

ColleenRose

The libertarian in me says to decriminalize sex work all around, however it would be a shame for the brothels to go

Michael j.

Brothels would re-locate to the heart of town rather than being out in the toolies.
Michael J.

Bart.Pimpson

I'm moving to Nevada this year, so it better not be decriminalized everywhere in the near future, lol

Ember

Quote from: chuckar chaser on Jan 29, 2019, 04:13 PM
I think most brothels would probably close. I think the the Mustang ranch could for sure survive though. Sure the business would have to change some but you all have something that is not available anywhere else. Plus with people like Tara, Jennifer, and many other creative minds you all I think could make it and even thrive.

I agree, I also believe we would still get a good amount of business because, while independents are now legal, that doesn't necessarily mean they are always clean either... we would still be the safest place to have fun in, regardless of if they become legal or not.

ColleenRose

Quote from: Ember on Jan 31, 2019, 12:33 AM
I think most brothels would probably close. I think the the Mustang ranch could for sure survive though. Sure the business would have to change some but you all have something that is not available anywhere else. Plus with people like Tara, Jennifer, and many other creative minds you all I think could make it and even thrive.

I agree, I also believe we would still get a good amount of business because, while independents are now legal, that doesn't necessarily mean they are always clean either... we would still be the safest place to have fun in, regardless of if they become legal or not.

At the very least they would probably have to lower prices :( the brothels i mean

sunseeker

In New Zealand, where prostitution was decriminalized in 2003, there are still brothels.

Women there can work on the street, independently (eg. callgirl seeing clients in hotels, client residence or sex worker residence), as part of a Small Owner Operated Brothel (4 or fewer women working together, handling their own money, but sharing rent/security expenses), or in a licensed brothel.

In 2008, a study was done of the effects of the law.
https://maggiemcneill.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/report-of-the-nz-prostitution-law-committee-2008.pdf

The study groups sex workers as "street", "private indoor"  and "managed" (in brothels).
(It isn't clear whether SOOB workers are "private indoor" or "managed", though there is a comment on pg 38 about brothels closing due to competition from "sole operators/SOOBS")

They found 395 street workers (17%), 731 private indoor workers (32%) and 1206 brothel workers (51%).
(table 3, pg 34).

So one can see there are still significant numbers of brothel-based sex workers, who leave the advertising/facilities management/security/etc. to someone else.

And in those Australian states that allow independent work and brothels, there are still brothels.
Same in the Netherlands and Germany.

So I don't see brothels going away entirely. Think spa tubs, bungalow/theme rooms, swimming pool, pole dancing stage, bondage, food &/or alcohol service, ... facilities, these would be hard for a single or couple person operation to provide.

Jagged

ColleenRose

Quote from: sunseeker on Feb 01, 2019, 08:56 AM
In New Zealand, where prostitution was decriminalized in 2003, there are still brothels.

Women there can work on the street, independently (eg. callgirl seeing clients in hotels, client residence or sex worker residence), as part of a Small Owner Operated Brothel (4 or fewer women working together, handling their own money, but sharing rent/security expenses), or in a licensed brothel.

In 2008, a study was done of the effects of the law.
https://maggiemcneill.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/report-of-the-nz-prostitution-law-committee-2008.pdf

The study groups sex workers as "street", "private indoor"  and "managed" (in brothels).
(It isn't clear whether SOOB workers are "private indoor" or "managed", though there is a comment on pg 38 about brothels closing due to competition from "sole operators/SOOBS")

They found 395 street workers (17%), 731 private indoor workers (32%) and 1206 brothel workers (51%).
(table 3, pg 34).

So one can see there are still significant numbers of brothel-based sex workers, who leave the advertising/facilities management/security/etc. to someone else.

And in those Australian states that allow independent work and brothels, there are still brothels.
Same in the Netherlands and Germany.

So I don't see brothels going away entirely. Think spa tubs, bungalow/theme rooms, swimming pool, pole dancing stage, bondage, food &/or alcohol service, ... facilities, these would be hard for a single or couple person operation to provide.

True. However brothels may need to relocate to more urban areas to attract more clients. Right now they can only be in smaller county populations .

Ironman

Quote from: ColleenRose on Jan 31, 2019, 04:42 AM

At the very least they would probably have to lower prices :( the brothels i mean

I don't know if they would be lower, but there would maybe be less interference from the management in other words it might be easier for you girls to set your own prices of the moment.

Bart.Pimpson

Independents aren't usually good for short-term notice, so I imagine brothels might stick around to cater to that market.

Ember

Quote from: chuckar chaser on Feb 01, 2019, 12:50 PM
Quote from: ColleenRose on Jan 31, 2019, 04:42 AM

I'm not sure if they would have to lower prices. Maybe or services might be differant. Just speaking for myself I would much rather go to the mustang that has everything it offers than to go to a motel room. I like the experience I get at the Mustang. It is more than just the sex I guess. I dont care for lineups either and going to an independant off of just a picture and a paragraph about her is a lot like a lineup in my mind.

I think it would really depend on the brothel itself. I feel that the Mustang would end up being fine because of the kind of clients we have that come and experience our wonderful services. Other brothels I wouldn't know though, because I have absolutely no idea if the kind of clients they have are the same or not.