News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Post Order is Backwards

Started by RachelVarga, May 04, 2018, 07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RachelVarga

Bobby brought this up but I wanted to make sure it gets seen. Any suggestion I make is for the good of the board and intended to help grow the board and get more girls to start using it.

The board post order is backward. Here is why:

The standard for forums is the newest post goes on the end. The reason being is that when someone clicks on the thread they see the topic immediately. Currently, they have to find the last post and read them backward which means they will be confused because it's not the standard.

Good example. A girl posts pics right. Every time someone clicks on the thread they don't see them because they are at the bottom. If it was reversed people immediately see the pictures. The girl can modify and change the pictures too or keep them all in the first post.

Overall it's not good to have it this way because it makes the reader have to search for the topic. It is a hundred times better if they click the topic and see what the original poster says. Plus it makes it easier to post pictures.
Rachel Varga
My Site
Follow Me On X

Zylar

I second that it would be good for the default setting of post order to be the standard/normal oldest to newest as that is how every forum I've ever used over the last two decades has been configured.  Individuals who like it the other way could always reverse the order but the default would be less confusing for new users if it was left at the standard oldest to newest display order.

MrTShirt

I suspect "oldest first" is the logical order, and what most expect.  However, per the discussion of this topic, I am trying newest first.  This way, I don't need to scroll through old, already read material each time to see what is new.

Bobby

You guys do realize that even if you have it set for the traditional "oldest first", you can still go directly to the latest post by clicking on the "Last Post" icon at the far right of the thread's title, right?

(I ask because I just stumbled upon it myself)  :P

Banginit

Quote from: RachelVarga on May 04, 2018, 07:35 PM
Bobby brought this up but I wanted to make sure it gets seen. Any suggestion I make is for the good of the board and intended to help grow the board and get more girls to start using it.

The board post order is backward. Here is why:

The standard for forums is the newest post goes on the end. The reason being is that when someone clicks on the thread they see the topic immediately. Currently, they have to find the last post and read them backward which means they will be confused because it's not the standard.

Good example. A girl posts pics right. Every time someone clicks on the thread they don't see them because they are at the bottom. If it was reversed people immediately see the pictures. The girl can modify and change the pictures too or keep them all in the first post.

Overall it's not good to have it this way because it makes the reader have to search for the topic. It is a hundred times better if they click the topic and see what the original poster says. Plus it makes it easier to post pictures.
is this global or a user setting?