News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Blue Angels Roll into Seattle for Seafair

Started by SeattleSun, Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleSun

Guys,

If you ever want to visit Seattle the absolutely best week is SEAFAIR WEEK which is usually the first full weekend in August.  I believe it's the weekend with the lowest probability of rain.   lol

One of the big events is the Blue Angels off airfield air show basically over Lake Washington and the City of Seattle.

As you can see from below it is necessary to close the major east/west highway I-90!  lol

We really get four shows as there are "practice shows" on Thursday and Friday.  The environment is so unusual, no runway for visual maneuver orientation,  they have to do some practicing.  The weather looks good so we will be getting the "high altitude" show.   I will be sitting on my back deck looking DOWN at F/A-18s going by at 450 mph.

The Washington State Department of Transportation is required by the Federal Aviation Administration to close the Interstate 90 to drivers, cyclists and pedestrians while the Blue Angels practice for and perform at the Seafair Air Show. The closures are to keep the public and pilots safe and to minimize distractions.

Exactly where and when will I-90 be closed?

The mainlines and express lanes of I-90 will be closed between Interstate 5 in Seattle to Island Crest Way on Mercer Island:

Thursday, July 30: 9:45 a.m. - noon; 1:15 - 2:40 p.m. (practice)

Friday, July 31:  11:50 a.m. - 2:40 p.m. (practice)

Saturday, Aug. 1:  11:50 a.m. - 2:40 p.m. (Seafair Air Show)

Sunday, Aug. 2:  11:50 a.m. - 2:40 p.m. (Seafair Air Show)

Full details

PARTICIPATING SHIPS

U.S. NAVY:
Amphibious Assault Ship USS Boxer
(LHD 4) – Pier 90

Guided-Missile Destroyer USS Gridley
(DDG 101) – Pier 66

Guided-Missile Destroyer USS Dewey
(DDG 105) – Pier 66

U.S. COAST GUARD:
U.S. Coast Guard:
 CGC Midgett (WHEC 726) - Pier 66