Olivia Travels: Following penguins in Antarctica

Started by Olivia Lush, Jan 09, 2019, 07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olivia Lush

Many of you that have read my previous blogs asked me to talk about my world traveler adventures so I've decided to start a series called Olivia Travels with short stories about my globetrotting years.
I hope you enjoy it.

Olivia Travels: Following Penguins in Antarctica

The biggest highlight of my world traveler adventures was for sure my visit to Antarctica, the White Continent. There are no hotels in Antarctica, so you can't visit it for few days or a weekend. There are international bases for people working there.  In order to preserve the environment, only a selected group of up to 150 visitors a day is allowed and for a very limited amount of hours. Some get there by luxury yachts and other, like myself, fly there on private tours. Not all cruises that go to Antarctica offer the luxury of having their guests actually stepping in Antarctica.
We were a group of 40 lucky travelers that would live the magic of setting foot in such mysterious place. We had a meeting prior to our adventure date to clarify what to expect from our visit, how to dress, what to bring and avoid. You could feel our anticipation building. We were like kids going to Disney World for the very first time.
Our adventure day started very early in the morning in Chile on a charter flight with other 40 lucky travelers. Yes, they gave us a hearty breakfast during our flight to give us energy for the adventure to come.
We were there during the summer, so it was very cold (hence the layers of clothing I am wearing in the pictures making me look much bigger than I actually am) but not as freezing as we imagined. Contrary to what many believe, Antarctica is not all covered in Ice and snow. There are paths were you can walk.
As soon as we landed, we toured 2 international bases. It's fascinating to see that the crew working there live with so little for long periods of time. There was no luxury. Everything was extremely functional.
After our little "sightseen" our group got divided in smaller ones and it was time to ride the zodiacs, the inflatable boats that would take us to penguin paradise, and paradise it was indeed. I've never imagined seeing so many penguins together. There were hundreds of them walking around, roaming free on their preserved habitat.  Visitors are not allowed to touch the penguins but if you stay still, they will approach you. They are very curious animals and will easily touch your hands and feet.  It was more than the perfect photo moment; it was like being in a movie- If I had an umbrella I probably would have tried to sing like Mary Poppins. They come in all shapes and sizes and are absolutely adorable.
At the end of our 6 hours in Antarctica we took our charter flight back to Chile. In the plane we toasted with champagne the amazing day we had and the memories we would cherish forever.

Would you like to read more of my blogs? Check them out at www.OliviaLush.com

Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush

Your Brazilian Delight
Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush
www.OliviaLush.com

Mustang 8/17-27

For a faster reply, email me at  olivia@mustangranch.com

clevelandbrowns01

I just read an article that researchers recently found a huge penguin colony on some island around Antarctica that hadn't been really explored yet. 

You've been to so many interesting places. Thank you in advance for sharing some of your experiences with us.

Ada Marie

That's pretty exciting, Olivia. I didn't even know you could take trips for a day there.

Michael

Quote from: Olivia Lush on Jan 09, 2019, 07:58 PM
Many of you that have read my previous blogs asked me to talk about my world traveler adventures so I've decided to start a series called Olivia Travels with short stories about my globetrotting years.
I hope you enjoy it.

The biggest highlight of my world traveler adventures was for sure my visit to Antarctica, the White Continent. There are no hotels in Antarctica, so you can't visit it for few days or a weekend. There are international bases for people working there.  In order to preserve the environment, only a selected group of up to 150 visitors a day is allowed and for a very limited amount of hours. Some get there by luxury yachts and other, like myself, fly there on private tours. Not all cruises that go to Antarctica offer the luxury of having their guests actually stepping in Antarctica.
We were a group of 40 lucky travelers that would live the magic of setting foot in such mysterious place. We had a meeting prior to our adventure date to clarify what to expect from our visit, how to dress, what to bring and avoid. You could feel our anticipation building. We were like kids going to Disney World for the very first time.
Our adventure day started very early in the morning in Chile on a charter flight with other 40 lucky travelers. Yes, they gave us a hearty breakfast during our flight to give us energy for the adventure to come.
We were there during the summer, so it was very cold (hence the layers of clothing I am wearing in the pictures making me look much bigger than I actually am) but not as freezing as we imagined. Contrary to what many believe, Antarctica is not all covered in Ice and snow. There are paths were you can walk.
As soon as we landed, we toured 2 international bases. It's fascinating to see that the crew working there live with so little for long periods of time. There was no luxury. Everything was extremely functional.
After our little "sightseen" our group got divided in smaller ones and it was time to ride the zodiacs, the inflatable boats that would take us to penguin paradise, and paradise it was indeed. I've never imagined seeing so many penguins together. There were hundreds of them walking around, roaming free on their preserved habitat.  Visitors are not allowed to touch the penguins but if you stay still, they will approach you. They are very curious animals and will easily touch your hands and feet.  It was more than the perfect photo moment; it was like being in a movie- If I had an umbrella I probably would have tried to sing like Mary Poppins. They come in all shapes and sizes and are absolutely adorable.
At the end of our 6 hours in Antarctica we took our charter flight back to Chile. In the plane we toasted with champagne the amazing day we had and the memories we would cherish forever.

Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush

Your Brazilian Delight
I'd be glad and honored to brave the freezing cold of Antarctica to the steamy hot Sahara desert with you.  Thank you for sharing.  I enjoy learning as much as I can about the mysterious Antarctica. 

Olivia Lush

Quote from: Michael on Jan 13, 2019, 03:52 PM
Quote from: Olivia Lush on Jan 09, 2019, 07:58 PM
I hope you enjoy it.

Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush

Your Brazilian Delight
I'd be glad and honored to brave the freezing cold of Antarctica to the steamy hot Sahara desert with you.  Thank you for sharing.  I enjoy learning as much as I can about the mysterious Antarctica.

It was my pleasure Michael! I love traveling and sharing my experiences with other pilgrim souls. Feel free to ask me anything about my trip next time you come over....
xoxo
Olivia Lush
Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush
www.OliviaLush.com

Mustang 8/17-27

Olivia Lush

Quote from: Ada Marie on Jan 10, 2019, 04:47 AM
That's pretty exciting, Olivia. I didn't even know you could take trips for a day there.
Yes, it's super special. Thanks for reading it , Ada.
I'll post about other places I've visited soon.
xoxo
Olivia
Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush
www.OliviaLush.com

Mustang 8/17-27

Olivia Lush

Quote from: clevelandbrowns01 on Jan 10, 2019, 04:11 AM
I just read an article that researchers recently found a huge penguin colony on some island around Antarctica that hadn't been really explored yet. 

You've been to so many interesting places. Thank you in advance for sharing some of your experiences with us.

It's surely my pleasure, clevelandbrowns01!
Writing travel blogs, like reading reviews from my parties, are a fantastic way to remember all the fun thing I've done and wonderful places I've visited.
xoxo
Olivia
Delightfully Yours,
Olivia Lush
www.OliviaLush.com

Mustang 8/17-27