News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Thanksgiving

Started by Victoria, Nov 23, 2013, 05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victoria

I know I usually work on Thanksgiving, but I am actually cooking for my family this year. So, I will be available for morning appointments only. Just let me know ahead of time so I can plan accordingly!

I am going to attempt deep frying my turkey this year... We shall see what happens! I might end up with a bunch of hot men, or women for that matter at my house trying to put a fire out! Lol...

caveman

That's cool. Iv'e never done that. Do you have the deep fryer already? I remember a guy I worked with saying he dose it every year. I kinda remember him saying something about taking & setting it up with water like a dry run. Something like measure how much water he put in than put the bird in & measure from top. May be it was put bird in first & than measure how must water from where you want to be on top to keep it from boiling over. That way you know how much oil you need. Just make sure you do it out away from everything & have a fire exstingisher handy. A concret slab would be the best place to do it on. You could make like a fire pit. Better Yet Ask Cobia because I garanty he knows how to do it!!! ;) ;) What ever you do make sure you wear something so you don't get burnt & if it starts to boil over run every bird for it's self.

Victoria

Trust me, I will have a fire extinguisher! I have seen it done many times. We will see how it turns out!

Michael j.

Make sure that turkey is dry before you put it into the hot oil.  From what I'm told, if water hits that boiling oil you could at least be startled or at worst get a painful surprise. 
Michael J.

caveman

Quote from: Michael j. on Nov 24, 2013, 04:37 AM
Make sure that turkey is dry before you put it into the hot oil.  From what I'm told, if water hits that boiling oil you could at least be startled or at worst get a painful surprise. 
I agree with that to. I heard you throw something wet or water into hot oil it pops & spits. something like bacon but worse a lot worse.  What kind of frier are you using Victoria? Is it a gas outside type or one of the ones that's a table top & you use inside? Maybe you should look for helpful hint's online to see the do's & don'ts. Better yet Talk to Chef Jeff!!!! I'm sure he would know.

caveman

Here is something for you victoria!!

http://www.ehow.com/how_6597_deep-fry-turkey.html?ref=Track2&utm_source=ask

I hope this will help you!! I was looking for a video.

Just Tom

Quote from: Victoria on Nov 23, 2013, 05:02 PM
I am going to attempt deep frying my turkey this year... We shall see what happens! I might end up with a bunch of hot men, or women for that matter at my house trying to put a fire out! Lol...

we don't affectionately call you 'Crash' for nothing...good luck with this new endeavor...the only hint i have is put the turkey in the pot, fill the pot with water, then withdraw the turkey and mark how deep the oil will need to be, before you fire it up
if you can't laugh at yourself, you don't deserve to laugh at anyone else

tobyg3

Quote from: Just Tom on Nov 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
Quote from: Victoria on Nov 23, 2013, 05:02 PM

we don't affectionately call you 'Crash' for nothing...good luck with this new endeavor...the only hint i have is put the turkey in the pot, fill the pot with water, then withdraw the turkey and mark how deep the oil will need to be, before you fire it up

I would add that you take your time lowering the bird, instead of just dropping it in. to reduce any splashing or water spatters. Using a rotisserie-type arrangement is helpful for that, or a simply pulley system. Oh, and don't use nylon rope. That would be very bad.

caveman

http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=deep+fry+turkey+instructions&v=Hznx7Ky5EUI&qsrc=472   

http://www.ask.com/youtube?q=deep+fry+turkey+instructions&v=Hznx7Ky5EUI&qsrc=472

Here are two videos.  I know if I was doing it I'd rig up away to lower it & take it out with out being close to it so you don't have to worry about getting burt. a chain on some kind of like cherry picker. That way you can stand way back from it & not be in the splash zone.

Gus

Please be careful Sweetheart. Good luck, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and all the other folks at the Mustang!
The most important words in life are "Yes!"and"Wow!" and "Thank You."

caveman

If this dosen't come out different it dose look like you can click on a different on .

Good luck & be careful!!!
Happy Thanks Giving!! :) :) :) :)

Victoria

Thank you for the tips!!!!  I will check out the links.

I know not to stick a soaking wet turkey in the oil.  I might end up deep fried myself!  LOL...

I found some tasty looking injectable stuff.  I will give it a try and see how it turns out!!!!  :)

NOw to figure out dessert....  Either a caramel apple cheesecake, a maple cheesecake, or a pecan pie cheescake....

caveman

I know pecan pie is good. I don't know about the cheescake. I ate  something at the cheesecake factory which was smores with grand cracker mixed in. It was good!

Victoria

I alwys make pumpkin cheesecake... Decide to change it up a bit :)

caveman

Yeah you have everything for the frying of the turkey? Look at my number 6 reply which has things that loook useful . Why they but a ad in the middle of it. it had a list I think . Like you have enough gas to cook it, turkey hook, & things like that. I find I have that problem with anything I do. Start a project & can't get what I need when I need it. I was going to replace two windows & I went to store. simple thing the guy said I have to special order them take 3 weeks. I'm like don't have 3 weeks. I looked around at another store & custimized a set to fit my opening. Point being to get what you need now before last minute so you won't have problems & feel bad. The videos are good to & look helpful. Tell us how fried turkey taste!!!

Take Care & have a Happy Thanks Giving! ;) ;)
P.s I'm thinking I want to have Thanks Given with you . Fried Turkey & pie.