News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

I-80 across the mountains

Started by GoofyPo, Sep 13, 2015, 03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoofyPo

This question is for those of you that drive out to visit.  How dicey is it about possibly getting stuck unable to cross I-80 as fall and winter are upon us?   Want to plan a trip over, but don't need to get fired from work because I got stuck and can't make it back.

Thanks

Michael j.

It should be no problem this time of year.  I'll be going up on Tuesday.  If you need an alternative, use US 50 to Tahoe, then 89 up to Reno.
Michael J.

Wildfire

It all depends on the weather.  I 80 can be closed at times in the winter. And at times snow tires and tire chains are required. Best advice is watch the weather before you make the trip. But don't let the weather stop you from going and having fun at the Mustang.

SeattleSun

First, I would love to get "snowed in" at the Mustang Ranch.  It's a top fantasy of mine, but then again I don't have a job. 

But in order to get there to be "snowed in" I use this: Subaru Outback, all wheel drive, 14" road clearance.

Subaru Outback Official Vehicle of the US Ski Team

Cobia

Quote from: SeattleSun on Sep 13, 2015, 09:11 PM

First, I would love to get "snowed in" at the Mustang Ranch.  It's a top fantasy of mine, but then again I don't have a job. 

But in order to get there to be "snowed in" I use this: Subaru Outback, all wheel drive, 14" road clearance.

Subaru Outback Official Vehicle of the US Ski Team

Last Feb. I got snowed in there for 2 days.          It was G R E A T   !!
I ain't askin no body for nothing if I can't get it on my own
So if you don't like the way I am livin then leave this long haired country boy alone !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's hard to kiss the lips at night that chewed your ass out all day long.

SeattleSun

Quote from: Cobia on Sep 13, 2015, 11:05 PM

I'll bet Coco thought it was great too!

Cobia

Quote from: SeattleSun on Sep 14, 2015, 05:08 AM

;)....yeah......she was nice enough to take GOOD care of me.  Such a great Lady !!
So if you don't like the way I am livin then leave this long haired country boy alone !!

Wildfire

You have the best luck.  I been there several  times  when it snowed but never got snowed in.
  A snow day with Coco now that's a great day.  ;D

Cobia

Quote from: Wildfire on Sep 14, 2015, 06:51 PM

You have the best luck.  I been there several  times  when it snowed but never got snowed in.
  A snow day with Coco now that's a great day.  ;D

Yep you are right.  Would you believe 9 days and 20 parties......

That was a trip of a life time for me and I will be back for more later.

johann

I tend to be fairly cautious choosing my times to drive up over the Donner Summit, precisely because I cannot take the chance on getting snowed in.  So about the earliest I will consider going is early to mid April, and the latest is early October.

And yeah SeattleSun, I also drive a Subaru: a Legacy.  Doesn't quite have the ground clearance of the Outback, but it's still a rock solid car.

Gus

I have been forced to chain up a few times, and I was "trapped" at the MR for 24 hours once (I liked it!). This past week, the problem was not snow, it was construction and wildfires! Both caused frustrating delays. In my experience, Route 50 is worse because it is just two-lane for some very curvy stretches. That can be infuriating as well.
The most important words in life are "Yes!"and"Wow!" and "Thank You."

GoofyPo

Thank you all. Some very helpful things here.   And if I get to where there's no worries with work, I will TRY to get stuck there.  Until then, I must be cautious and keep this silly job thing.  :P

Michael j.

I went over today with no problem except for a few sprinkles over Donner Summit.
Michael J.

Donatella

I like your red color in your car . Your ID is Pink
What happened ? Seattle Sun

:) :)
See you all here !!
Guaranteed time of your life !!

Donatella