News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Hiking Trails

Started by Tanner2542, Jul 07, 2019, 11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanner2542

Hey All,

Does anyone know of any reasonable hiking trails close to the M?  I'll be there, staying at the ranch, and want to get out for a few hours or so each day during my visit.

Thanks!!

Just Tom

The Nature Conservancy maintains a trail along the Truckee just outside the grounds of the Mustang, you can follow it downstream to the USA parkway exit (exit 32), and or upstream for about 3 miles where it crosses the river and comes back downstream about a mile to an amphitheater on the north side of the river.
Exit 32 to the amphitheater is about 9 miles, there is a trail head off Waltham Ave before you get to the Mustang gate.

After that, if you go into town, you can walk the path along the Truckee from about The Gregg Ave exit all the way to downtown Reno. Closet trail head i know of is where Sparks Blvd crosses the river by the Petro truck stop.
Further out there are some other trails in the Reno Sparks area that go up into the hills, but i haven' t found them yet , the most used is probably the Hunter Creek Mount Rose trail
if you can't laugh at yourself, you don't deserve to laugh at anyone else

SixT9er

Regarding the Truckee River path. I rode my bike on it a couple years ago, don't know if things changed or not but when I got away from the immediate downtown I didn't feel real safe. Was glad I was on my bike as I know I couldn't outrun the people that made me nervous.

I do need to investigate trails by Mt Rose, I bet there are some great hikes there. If you are looking further out, ask Chuckar for directions, I've seen pics of some of his hikes, just beautiful!
Brothellife.com an independent message board dedicated to LPIN where clients and Courtesans can interact

ChicagoBob

The Mt. Rose Summit Trail is a classic.  About 10 miles up and back.  Pack a lunch and enjoy some of the best views of northern Lake Tahoe.  The summit is around 10,700 feet.  Parking is at the rest area, the trailhead is right next to it.  Rt 431 just off 395. 

Tanner2542

Quote from: ChicagoBob on Jul 08, 2019, 10:34 PM
The Mt. Rose Summit Trail is a classic.  About 10 miles up and back.  Pack a lunch and enjoy some of the best views of northern Lake Tahoe.  The summit is around 10,700 feet.  Parking is at the rest area, the trailhead is right next to it.  Rt 431 just off 395.

That sounds like an amazing hike but not sure I am prepared this trip for that strenuous of a hike.  I won't have boots, a pack or water.  Would be something to do in October maybe.

Tanner2542

Quote from: ChicagoBob on Jul 08, 2019, 10:34 PM

Kind of looking for something more for a morning hike/exercise of a few miles and not crazy steep.  I used to live at 4500' but now I'm at 600'..... lol